Rushing Back Remix
I loved how we got to experiment with all of the effects and the different loops and had lots of freedom to do what we wanted. Finding the right loops that fit the remix and the other beats in the song was very difficult. Lots of times when I thought a loop would sound good, it would clash against something else in the song and I would have to find something different. I went through lots of trial and error to find the right loops to keep my remix having a smooth flow throughout. I started off with trying to make the chorus more upbeat and fast paced to make it have a higher, more peppy energy compared to the bridge which had the slowest and calmest beat. I did this because I felt that the bridge had more of a peaceful mood with the vocals and the slow paced singing.
Delia's Beats remix
I wanted the energy to be very upbeat and basically energizing. The mood was supposed to start off very empowering and then I wanted it to change into almost eerie once the electric keys and guitar came in. I learned that consistency is very good to make a beat flow better and overall sound better. I also learned that there can be many different versions of a sound (such as snare or kick) and that they all create different moods/energy in a song. Being able to start from scratch and make our own beats was very fun because it gives lots of different outcomes in a song. I also enjoyed seeing how any given song is made (especially the theme song for Doctor Who) and who they had to build from the grown up with the beat.
There were small challenges such as in Ableton, you have to save each recording as a separate file. But the plus side is we can always go back to the original recording in Ableton. My favorite thing to do with the project was panning things to different sides. This made the sounds sound like they are moving around in the headphones. I would do multiple recordings to put things in different order to see if one flowed better than the other. I enjoyed using the Ableton Push the most because it made recording and mixing much easier. Being able to do everything in the moment made things much more interactive.
For the mood of my project, I wanted there to be a large mix of things happening. The flow was difficult at first because I had so many different sounds happening at once. I had to do lots of work with mixing, panning, and the volume to get them to all blend nicely. I also wanted a mix of energies which is why in some parts of the song it’s slower than others. There was lots of trial and error with mixing. Some sounded really nice but some made the music sound really off and weird. It was a long process of just trying different things on different sounds to get things to work. From this project I learned how important panning is with a song to make things sound better together. I also learned how much different a piece of music can sound. If you change the pitch or if you add effects to it, there are endless opportunities. I loved all the different options of loops we had to choose from and being able to mix and match things to our own liking.